When a child with special educational needs start at Mapledene, we:
- Meet with them and their parents to ask and answer questions about their needs;
- If necessary, provide a transition book with photos and information about their new school;
- Arrange visits to the school and any workshops that are appropriate prior to their start date.
When a child with special educational needs moves into a new class at Mapledene, we:
- Can give the child a transition book so they have information and pictures about their new classroom and teachers;
- Talk to the child and their family about any changes and how to support at home;
- Introduce the child to their new class and teacher well before their transition.
When a child with special educational needs leaves Mapledene in Year 6, we:
- Meet with the parents to discuss the options available;
- Work with the child’s new school to make sure they have a transition which is as easy as possible for them;
- Talk to key staff at the new school about the child’s needs and hold a review meeting if needed;
- Help to arrange visits to the new school if required and appropriate to do so.
- Work on the skills children will need to be independent in their new setting.