Home Learning- week beginning 13/7/20
It's the last week of the school year..and what a funny one it's been! We'd like to thank all of you parents for your continued support throughout this strange time; whether your child has been at home or at school.
We are both so excited to be continuing your children's learning journey with them in year 2 next year :) It's an important year for the children, so please continue to prepare and support them during the summer by enjoying reading together and exposing them to number in the wider world (explore money, measure and time). Above all, we hope you have a lovely summer and a well earned break!
This weeks learning is a bit of a check list of year 1 targets. Please take the time to have a go at some of the activities.
* Check that your child can read and spell the year one common words (see link below). Practise putting them into funny sentences or playing hangman with the trickier spelling.
*Check that they know the days of the week and months of the year- create a calendar with a picture representing each month.
*Read a book together. Can you spot any year one common words in it? Make a list of some you find. Ask your child questions and get them to show you where it tells you the answer.
*Encourage your child to write about their favourite memory of year one (make sure they use capital letters and full stops!). Was it finding the dinosaur footprints? Trip to the wildlife park? Dinosaur assembly? Sports relief fun with the assault course? Sports day at home/school?
Sports day at home
- 1 and 2 common words.pdf
*Check that your child knows their number bonds to 10 and 20 by going on 'Hit the Button' Also have another go at the number bond challenge (see below).https://www.topmarks.co.uk/maths-games/hit-the-button
*Make sure they can count in 2's 5's and 10's- remember there are lot's of songs on YouTube that can help with this learning. This is a favourite of theirs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WghTG10k1EU
* Check they can count to 100 and back, again there is a great video for that https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jMmZaFvRpE. They also like the game 'Helicopter rescue' for finding numbers to 100.
- 2xTables Tests.pdf
- 5xTables Tests.pdf
- 10xTables Tests.pdf
- Year 1 Summer Maths Activity Booklet.pdf
Useful websites- please check them out:
Phonics playA variety of phonics and spelling games
ICT GamesA range of English and Maths games (including Dinosaur Phonics)
Top marksThis website has games for different areas of the curriculum. Just search for the subject you want and makes sure it's on KS1
Free online booksIf you have ran out of books at home, please check out this website where there are lots of books to choose from.
Learning at home updates:
- Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Keep an eye on new homework that has been set on Doodle.
- Join the parent Facebook group 'At Mapledene we care and share for our little people'
- 'Learn it with Mapledene' https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfdasSwHVsKAQ4xO5RGgQSA/videos
Handwriting booklet and paper
Learning at home updates:
- Have a go at the Doodle Easter Challenge https://www.doodlemaths.com/spring-challenge/
- Join the parent Facebook group 'At Mapledene we care and share for our little people' for regular updates from Miss Johnson and Miss Ellgood and a chance to share your children's work.
- Check out our 'Learn it with Mapledene' YouTube channel for stories, handwriting lessons and rhyme time all done by our teachers!
Supporting your child with their learning at home
Encourage your child to go on the following websites to help them to become more confident with targets on the National Curriculum at home. Some of these are also available to dowload as apps.
Hit the Button'Number Bonds to 10', 'Number Bonds to 20' and 'Doubles to 10' will help your child to practise key arithmetic skills that are required in year 1.
Phonics PlayA variety of games to help support the skills of blending sounds for reading. It is particularly important that year 1 children become confident at reading new and 'alien words'.
Multiple FrenzyPractise recognising multiples of 2, 5 and 10.
Reading GamesTake a look at these Topmarks games to help develop reading and sentence skills.
Spelling gamesTopmarks games that will help to support spelling- including days of the week, alphabetical order and words with suffixes.
Dinosaur DiscoveryA game linking dinosaur knowledge with science investigation skills.
Home learning projects
Check out these projects to engage your children whilst they are learning from home.
Useful Videos and Games
These online games and videos are a great way for your chid to share their learning with you and revise what they have learnt at school during the week.
Pizza fractions videoYear 1 should understand the terms 'whole' 'half' and 'quarter'
Multiple FrenzyPlease do 2,5 and 10
Hit the buttonNumber bonds to 10 please
TimerPractise reading your sounds/numbers/common words and race against the clock!
Number bondsPractise number bonds to 10
Interactive number squarePractise doing jumps of 2's 5's and 10's